Shopping online for the the holidays continues to increase each year for most retailers. The benefits are great, it’s convenient and there are bargains to be had, but like anything else online, there are some “best practices” that help you protect your online data and personal information, AND save you time and money in the end.
Some recommendations when shopping online to protect your personal data security:
- Remember, many online retailers mobile APPs have privacy policies. Make sure you take the time to review how your personal information as a consumer is being shared and used.
- Ensure your online accounts and your mobile devices and tablets have strong pass codes.
- Research your online sources before purchasing. Check out their reviews and testimonials for positive feedback from actual customers. If the retailer does a good job, they’re glad to show you their customer’s comments.
- Verify the identity of online retailers and steer towards those you know. Check the security simply by verifying the “https” certificate of a web site’s domain.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi spots for online shopping. Also, some public Wi-Fi spots track your movements, so disable your Wi-Fi when logging into your personal data accounts.
- Be careful in sharing personal information, like birth date on social media.
- Be suspicious of deals that sound too good to be true. They probably are.
- Use safe forms of payment methods, like credit cards, so you can track your purchases.
- Be smart about the excess of holiday email. This is the season of an influx of email comes in from cyber criminals looking to steal your personal information. Best thing to remember is “If you’re in doubt, throw it out.”
All of us at THUMBTECHS want you to be safe and secure this season while enjoying the benefits and conveniences of your technology.
And as always, if you have any questions about your I.T. security, contact THUMBTECHS today at 817-923-2419